Independent Supporter for families

An Independent Support Service to help families, in particular when their child/young person is transferring from a Statement of SEN to an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan is now being offered in Southwark.

The service is being offered by Family Lives, a voluntary organisation. Independent Supporters will:

  • Provide advice and support for parents of children with SEN, and young people (16+) with SEN, through the statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) processes.
  • Help parents and young people through the process of transferring their statement of SEN to an Educational, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).
  • Help parents of young children, who are new EHC referrals, and/or young people approaching school leaving age and would have had a Learning Disability Assessment under the old system.
  • Help young person to ensure their views are heard and understood.
  • Liaise across a range of local services with the parent or young person to help gather the information required for an EHC Plan.
  • Help to build resilience in families by offering a range of time-limited support such as liaison across different agencies and advice on personal budgets. The level and nature of that support will be tailored to the particular needs of individual families.
  • Signpost parents and young people to the local Information Advice and Support Service, when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter.


How can you get in touch with an independent supporter?

By telephone on: 020 3131 3150

By letter and email

By pre-arranged meetings

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Resize text